CBD Honey Sticks: All You Need to Know
The CBD market has come a long way in the last few years. Once limited to low-strength oils, consumers can now find various products from CBD tea to flavored e-liquids.
One of the more exciting niches in the edibles market is CBD honey sticks. Offering a delicious taste and flexibility, honey sticks can be an excellent way to take CBD.
So, how do you eat a honey stick, and is homemade better than store-bought? Our article answers these questions, plus we tell you how you can make your very own CBD honey sticks at home.
What Are CBD Honey Sticks?
CBD honey sticks may sound fairly self-explanatory. However, it’s possible to buy them in two formats.
The first is a solid stick of hardened and crystalized honey infused with CBD. The second is a hollow straw filled with liquid CBD honey. Both are enjoyable and delicious, and both contain the essential component of CBD.
Before we go any further, let’s clear up the confusion around CBD. These three letters stand for cannabidiol, a compound extracted from industrial hemp. CBD interacts with the endocannabinoid system, a complex bodily pathway that impacts a variety of processes. Many believe CBD acts as a support for this system, working to keep the entire body in balance.
To make honey sticks, manufacturers first extract cannabidiol from industrial hemp, which is bred to be low in compounds like THC. Often, they use supercritical CO2 extraction to do this. Then, the hemp extract is infused into honey. It’s best to look for local honey to find the best product.
Combining CBD and honey seems pretty logical. After all, honey is one of the original ‘superfoods,’ consumed for a myriad of health benefits. Adding CBD into the mix could provide the ultimate product for daily wellbeing.
Before we explain all the benefits of CBD honey sticks, let’s look at how to use them.
How to Use CBD Honey Sticks
CBD honey sticks are versatile. There are a few ways to make use of them, including as a topical or a food additive. Here are some of our favorite ways to use CBD honey sticks.
- Hardened CBD honey sticks make a great snack. You can crunch on them for a quick CBD edible – and it’s healthier than gummies!
- Liquid CBD honey sticks can be poured directly into the mouth. Suck the honey out of the straw for a super easy CBD dose. For the benefits of sublingual consumption, you can hold the honey in your mouth, like you would with a CBD tincture.
- Instead of adding sugar to tea, you can mix in CBD honey. Both liquid and hardened sticks can be used in this way.
- Drizzle the CBD honey over cereal, yogurt, or even salad for a yummy, healthy CBD edible with a bit of a twist.
- Honey can even be applied to the skin. If you don’t mind getting a little sticky, you can rub honey directly onto problem areas. Alternatively, try making your own homemade CBD honey face mask, lip balm, or hand lotion!
Benefits of CBD Honey Sticks
Here are some of the best benefits of CBD honey sticks:
- Honey is full of antioxidants. The darker the honey, the more antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins it contains. These nutrients are all essential to remaining fit and healthy.
- Compounded benefits of CBD and honey. Not only do you get the above benefits of honey, but the addition of CBD can support general health and wellbeing throughout the day.
- Versatility. CBD honey sticks can be consumed in several ways, as we touched on above. They can be eaten right out of the straw or added to food for a delicious – but still healthy – twist.
- Portable and convenient. You can carry CBD honey sticks with you on the go for a quick dose of CBD at any time. Pre-measured servings make it easy for you to take the right amount of CBD every time without having to fiddle with a dropper.
- Honey supports bees! While not a benefit to your own health, we think it’s important to mention that buying honey can support bee populations and help them thrive. Bees are essential to the global ecosystem, so it’s nice to know that you are indirectly supporting hive communities.
Are Homemade CBD Honey Sticks Better?
The combination of healthy honey and CBD supplements appears to be a match made in heaven.
However, two issues consumers may find when browsing for CBD honey sticks online is quality and choice. As a niche product, honey sticks are only available from a very select range of online stores. Often this means that strength ranges are limited. Brands will typically produce low-strength CBD honey sticks as they are cheaper to make.
Additionally, some sellers can be lax about providing lab reports. These reports should verify that the product contains low THC and is on the right side of the law. The rule of checking lab reports applies to all products and not just CBD honey sticks.
One way to solve these issues is by making CBD honey sticks yourself with a premium CBD oil base. It’s surprisingly easy, and making your own gives you total control over flavor and strength; take a look at our recipe below.
How to Make Your Own CBD Honey Sticks
You will need:
- CBD tincture or a CBD isolate powder
- 2 cups honey (ideally bought locally)
- Glass measuring cup
- A candle or a lighting instrument (e.g., matches or a lighter)
- Needle nose pliers
Instructions for CBD Honey
- Fill a saucepan with water and place the glass measuring cup inside. Heat the water to around 95˚F – you may need a thermometer for this step. If not, the water should be warm enough to liquefy the honey but not boiling.
- Allow it to sit for a few minutes so the glass reaches the same temperature.
- Add your CBD oil/powder into the measuring cup. How much you used will be based on the desired strength.
- Add the honey on top.
- Stir the product together. At first, the honey may be quite sticky and stiff, but the heat will loosen it up eventually.
- Remove the pan from heat and allow the honey to cool.
Instructions for CBD Honey Sticks
- Light the candle or heating device.
- Take a straw and hold it about ¼ of an inch from the opening, then position the opening over the flame until the plastic begins to melt. Be careful not to burn your fingers.
- Hold away from the heat and clamp the end shut with needle-nose pliers until the plastic seals.
- Pour the CBD honey into the open end of the straw, leaving enough room to seal it.
- Repeat steps 2-3 on the other end of the straw. To avoid spilling the honey, either pinch the end of the straw tightly before turning upside down or use a more flexible heating device to heat the sides of the straw.
Final Thoughts on CBD Honey Sticks
CBD honey is an excellent addition to your daily lifestyle. Not only is it a versatile product that can be added to teas, food, or consumed directly, but it’s equally delicious.
Additionally, combining honey and CBD is a helpful way to benefit from various antioxidants and phytonutrients. Consuming it may increase daily restfulness and even provide an energy boost before strenuous activity.
While CBD honey sticks can be found available, making your own can be a fun and rewarding activity, too. Just make sure to buy CBD oil from a reputable store like Premium Jane.